Reflections on the day after Thanksgiving, 2009

It's just after 8 AM on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. Large numbers of my fellow Americans arose in the pre-dawn hours to stand in line for bargains in the unofficial beginning of the Christmas shopping season.

Sorry, not me.

I prefer to lounge in bed, enjoying a cup of coffee; newspaper and wife at my side. I'll let others shop.

In the family room are two sleeping figures: friends of my youngest. We tend to be the place where he and his friends land for their gatherings. In the living room are two more, stretched out on the sleeper couch. At around 2:30 last night I sent a text message to youngest son informing him the party needed to wind down, else I storm out in my boxers and chase everyone out.

They are techno-geeks. Unlike older brother, instead of alcohol, this crowd goes for caffeine so they can game and the like all night. Hence the 2:30 shutdown message.



This is why I like Thanksgiving.

Unlike Christmas, which we've allowed to devolve into an orgy of consumerism, Thanksgiving has managed to remain somewhat true to its origins. While religious in tone, it's lack of overt specificity to any one religion makes it more inclusive. It's a time of in-gathering of family and friends, of the fellowship of the table.

The focus is on gratitude, not desire.

Do we over-indulge? Oh sure. But it's nothing like what's to come.

So I'll let others fight the crowds for gargantuan HD TVs and Blu-Ray players. I'm going to have that second cup of coffee and kiss my wife. In a little while I'll awaken the sleepers and start thinking about leftovers.

Hope your Thanksgiving was as good as mine.

Comments

Dan Brekke said…
I'm with you, Doctor.

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Movie Cavalcade

Contact Fedex Delivery Dept For Your Package....

A few random thoughts on "Cancel Culture."