Woke up this morning to the news that Fred Rogers (that's Mister Rogers to YOU) died at the age of 74 of cancer.

I first saw Mister Rogers Neighborhood when I was a cynical teenager in the late 60's. At the time I was not impressed....it just seemed like more sappy kid programming. It wasn't until I had kids of my own that I became a fan.

My oldest son and I watched Mister Rogers almost religiously, which is only fitting, seeing as he was an ordained Presbyterian minister. The beauty of the show was that it never talked down to their audience of children. And it was for children, unlike the pretensiously hip PeeWee's Playhouse. Now I ask you, who would YOU rather have your children spending time with...Fred Rogers or PeeWee Herman?

The show addressed issues in children's terms. I can remember several shows dealing with such topics as prejudice, war and other horrors of the adult world. And there was Mister Rogers assuring his young audience that things would be okay and that they were okay.

We also learned how crayons and Pink Pearl erasers were made, and saw Yo Yo Ma play the cello. All at a leisurely pace that didn't tax the ability of any in the audience to figure out what the heck was going on.

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood thanks to you, Mister Rogers. Thank you and goodbye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Movie Cavalcade

Contact Fedex Delivery Dept For Your Package....

A few random thoughts on "Cancel Culture."