Annual Review

So I had my annual review yesterday at work. For the record, everybody, EVERYBODY hates these--reviewers and reviewees. I went in not expecting much, based on my previous mid-year review.

Long story short: I got the equivalent to a C+.

All the traits that I value in myself (my honesty, my creativity, my ability to get along with people) I got high marks in. My downfall was in the areas in which I put little stock. My supervisor, who I manage to more or less get along with, is fairly clueless when it comes to what motivates me. So I guess in a certain sense it was a fair review. I came out of it feeling annoyed.

I thought about my annoyance with my review and came to an interesting conclusion. I had been given a gift. I had been reminded of something I've known for a long time: despite being able to do what I do fairly well, I need to be doing something else.

My department, for all the lip service it pays to things like this, has very little use for creativity. Our new CIO announced in our departmental "get acquainted" meeting that he was a numbers guy, first and foremost. In the world view of numbers guys, creativity is a Bad Thing (it tends to lead to jail time).

So I guess it's time to start listening more carefully to the breeze, to see where it blows me next.

My favorite review? Took place when I was 26...I'd been working for Color Tile as an art director. I went in for my 2 month review and gave notice at the end of it.

Sweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Movie Cavalcade

Contact Fedex Delivery Dept For Your Package....

A few random thoughts on "Cancel Culture."