Wine...sweet Wine

Another of my yawn-worthy posts about my effort to escape Windows. Flee now or be geeked out.

I've played with Linux at various times over the years but there was always an application I just couldn't bear to give up. Microsoft Office I could give up. Internet Explorer I could give up. Dreamweaver I could give up. Winamp I could give up.

Photoshop...I can't give that up.

Sure, people say Gimp is just like Photoshop. Sorry, close but no cigar.

Enter Wine. To quote from the WineHQ website: "Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems."

In English: use it to run Windows apps on Linux.

I'd tried Wine on various occasions in the past and it was impressive as a parlor trick but a tad flaky. So with my newly installed copy of Kubuntu Linux (Ubuntu with KDE) I installed Wine and messed with Photoshop over the weekend with decidedly mixed results. I could get it installed but it threw an error and died when I tried to use it.

Yesterday I tried Adobe Illustrator with a similar lack of complete success. Finally today after fiddling with my X configuration file (commenting out references to an input device I don't have installed), I restarted and attempted to run Illustrator.

Success!

I then loaded my Photoshop 7 disk, ran it and....IT'S ALIVE!

Photoshop on Linux!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Movie Cavalcade

Contact Fedex Delivery Dept For Your Package....

A few random thoughts on "Cancel Culture."