Noble

Well, Christmas is finally in the air. I sang (selections from) Handel's Messiah last night (I'm a lowly member of the choir, which is fine with me).

The day before snagged a Christmas tree. I was instructed to bring home a Noble Fir, instead of the Douglas Firs I routinely bought. Noble: is this because they cost a King's ransom?

By the way, if any one in the financial community ever mentions a "wasting asset" and you have a hard time grasping the concept, think of Christmas trees as a prime example.

Before Christmas: 7 foot Noble Fir = $89.
After Christmas: 7 foot Noble Fir = Land Fill.

The local Optimist's Club was a little short on the 7-8 foot trees, which meant hard decisions, since I had borrowed my Dad (and his pickup truck) to bring home said tree. I didn't especially feel like talking him into driving all over the West Side of Ft Worth in search of the perfect tree, since they're all landfill at the end of the month.

After much debate with Ed (my 13 year old, acting in his capacity as tree advisor) we settled on a pretty good looking tree. Well, other than the gap (or as Ed put it, "the Chomp") a third of the way from the top. Paid for it (I had remembered, after last year's false start, the Optimists are not too optimistic when it comes to credit cards, and had brought a checkbook instead) and got it home with nary a hitch.

I got this thing into the tree stand and wrestled it into the living room. By the way, it is a fact of nature that trees are at least a foot taller inside than outside. Spike the cat then raises his tail as if to water it.

Finally, John (the 18 year old) shows his face and says "It has a chomp out of it."


I love the Holidays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Movie Cavalcade

Contact Fedex Delivery Dept For Your Package....

A few random thoughts on "Cancel Culture."