Chapter 2 rewrite

At my writers group last night I read the 2nd chapter of The Novel again. This made the third time my fellow writers have had to endure my creativity. Last time they were politely encouraging but I knew the truth: it still sucked. Nothing like reading your own stuff out loud to really appreciate its shortcomings.

Alas, my sins as a writer are many, but the worst of them are: too many "information dumps," not enough characterization, and my constant slipping into the passive voice.

I've been laboring over rewrites on this chapter for about 2 months...part of the delay can be attributed to the summer doldrums, part of it being that the chapter needed a whole lot of work.

Third time is the charm though; good feedback on this version. Some minor stuff (including hand-edits I made before reading) to be added back, but nothing substantial. So now I move on.

Thank god!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Movie Cavalcade

Contact Fedex Delivery Dept For Your Package....

A few random thoughts on "Cancel Culture."