It all comes out in the wash...

Was going to work on The Novel over the weekend and could not find the flash drive where I've taking to storing it. Looked in all the usual places at home (dresser, bedside table, by the bathroom sink) but to no avail. Finally decided I must have left it at work.

Nope.

Now I was getting concerned. I usually save a new revision number every few days, but this time it had been several weeks. Plus I, er, hadn't made a backup. So I had this nagging fear I'd lost a couple of weeks of revisions--fairly good revisions too.

Got home tonight, looked some more and finally asked Ed, who was lounging around watching TV in the back room, if he'd seen the flash drive.

"Oh yeah," he mumbled, pulling it out from under the couch. "I think it went through the washing machine." My mouth is hanging open at this point, and he adds, "It went through the dryer, too."

Thinking, oh well, if I wrote this once I can write it again, I put the clean flashdrive into the USB port of one of the computers. It makes its beepy connection noise. I look, and there it is. All my files intact.

Damn!

This must have been one well-sealed flash drive. Even the little green LED that flickers when there is read/write activity still works.

Despite it seeming to work perfectly, methinks I may buy another, just to be on the safe side.

For future reference, the drive is a Lexar Jumpdrive Secure--gray with black rubberized grips on the side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Movie Cavalcade

Contact Fedex Delivery Dept For Your Package....

A few random thoughts on "Cancel Culture."