Thursday, September 17, 2009

KDE 4 Memory Leak -- A Follow Up

Okay -- a follow up on my previous post about KDE 4's apparent memory leak. Despite following the steps I listed I found I was still prone to creeping molasses.

Here's what I ended up doing, which seems to have helped.

First, uninstalled all of the widget libraries I could locate (relax -- I reinstalled them). Then I went in and basically re-installed KDE 4, using Synaptic. I'll note for the record I don't have a lot of love for the newest release of Adept; it's a sorry downgrade of the version that came with KDE 3.

Next I installed OpenBox, which is an alternative window manager.

Once completed, I had the option, when logging in, of starting my session with KDE / OpenBox. This substitutes the OpenBox window manager for Kwin, the default KDE window manager, while retaining the KDE look and feel.

Compared to Kwin, OpenBox is a light weight. I confess, I can see no discernible difference between the two once I've logged in -- other than the fact that OpenBox doesn't seem to eat up almost every remaining byte of memory over a 6 hour period (we are talking 98% of my 2 GB of physical RAM and 75% of my 2 GB swap file).

I've been using  this configuration for about a week, checking memory usage with both System Monitor and top. So far, this seems to have corrected the problem.

Again, your mileage may vary.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Very nice solution, DR RALPH!

The plasma memory leak had finally bugged me to the point where I had to look for a solution. Openbox is a nice fix.

Thanks,

--Doug

Dr Ralph said...

Glad I could be of assistance. I know it was certainly a vexing issue for me.

God forbid we be forced to use Gnome (just kidding, folks!).

ShareThis